World champions France have been eliminated from the Euros 2021 after losing 5-4 on penalty shootout to Switzerland.
PSG star Mbappe missed the last penalty which handed win to Switzerland.
A very cagey encounter between the two sides produced wonderful goal scoring display of 3-3 regulation time which took the game to penalties after extra time.
Switzerland opened the scoring in early stage of the game to end first half before Benzema hit brace to put France in front.
Paul Pogba wrapped up to extend the lead on 76 minutes with fine long range effort to make it 3-1.
But Switzerland rolled themselves back into the game to equalize with an exceptional performance which saw Haris Seferovic and Mario Gavranovic put their side on level to secure 30 minutes extra time .
With no goals after extra time, the game went down to penalties.
Switzerland started the penalty kicks and scored all whereas Mbappe missed the last kick which got France bow out of the tournament.
The French won the World Cup in 2018 and were the favourites to win the Euros to set similar record in 1998 and 2002 when they won the Worldcup and four years later won the Euros.
Under a manager who was part of that winning team in 1998 and 2002 was expecting to achieve similar feet but Switzerland blocked their way.
The Swiss entered the game as underdogs but surprised many football fans after taking the lead and were even on the verge of making it two just minutes into the second but Ricardo Rodriguez’s penalty was saved by Hugo Iloris before France roar back to put themselves in front.
Switzerland will now go through to face Spain in the quarter finals in St Petersburg.
Spain defeated Croatia 5-3 earlier the day after another dramatic fashion style which went through to the extra time after 3-3 regulation.
It was a game that produced many goals in Euros Fixture.
Spain are three times champions and last won the tournament in 2012 but had bad outing in the edition going out in the just after group stage.
Check Out Stats of France and Switzerland:
- Granit Xhaka’s passing vs FRANCE
◉ Most passes
◉ Most forward passes
◉ Most passes into opposition half
◉ Most passes into the final ⅓
◉ Most successful final ⅓ passes
◉ Most successful long passes
◉ Most successful through balls
Xhaka went toe-to-toe with Pogba and Kante in the middle of the park.
Inspired his teammates before the penalty shootout.
Picked up the MOTM award.
UEFA Star of the Match.
2.Paul Labile Pogba is the first French player to score in four consecutive major tournaments without interruption:
✅2014 World Cup
✅2018 World Cup
- For the first time in 67 years, Switzerland🇨🇭have reached the quarter final of a major tournament.
- 14 & 0 – Kylian Mbappe has had more shots (14) without scoring than any other player at EURO2020 so far (excluding shootouts). Uncharacteristic.
- 3 – Switzerland have scored 3+ goals in consecutive major tournament matches (Euros/World Cups) for the first time since the 1954 World Cup.
- 67 – For the first time in 67 years (World Cup 1954), Switzerland have reached the quarter final of a major tournament. Upset.
- 3 – France’s elimination last night was just the third time in European Championship history that a side has failed to progress from a knockout game having led by 2+ goals after France vs Yugoslavia in the 1960 semi final and Yugoslavia vs Germany in the 1976 semi final.